Regional Touring Expressions of Interest
Everyone deserves the best live music, so please share your talents with communities across NSW!
Musica Viva Australia collaborates with a range of concert presenters including performing arts centres, the regional conservatorium network, volunteer music societies, and festivals. Through the support of Create NSW, we level the playing field for regional presenters and their audiences by assisting with contract administration, arranging and paying for artists’ domestic travel and accommodation, advising on specific technical and artistic needs, and complementing local marketing efforts. This puts regional presenters on a more equal footing with their metropolitan colleagues – all they need is the fee.
Expressions of interest are now open. From the applications, we will select approximately 10 diverse soloists or small ensembles to be promoted on our website and directly to presenters across NSW. Ideally, we look to create short tours of two to five concerts; however, this can vary depending on presenter need.
Each year we offer presenters a diverse and enticing selection of ensemble musicians and programs, including classical chamber music, music from diverse cultural backgrounds, and music-centred works which cross into other artforms. We’re interested in hearing from artists who are outstanding musicians, excellent communicators, and who can offer workshops and other community engagement activities in addition to concerts.
This program is broadly intended to support opportunities for artists living in Australia in 2025. Funding for international airfares is not available.
We welcome and encourage applications from First Nations people, people who identify as having disability, people who identify as LGBTIQA+, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
If at any stage of the process you require any adjustments due to disability or having access needs, please contact Sean at email@example.com or 02 8394 6662. An accessible Word version of the form can be downloaded here.
Expressions of interest close at 11:59PM AEDT, Monday 4 March 2024.
I loved regional touring for Musica Viva Australia! Music is all about connection in the moment, and it felt inspiring and enriching to connect with communities around NSW in various ways - hearing students and talking about music and making music in masterclasses, dancing with kids and talking about what stories and feelings and colours music evokes, meeting audience members and talking with them before, during, and after performances. It was a real privilege to share music with lots of different and absolutely beautiful communities around NSW.
- Andrea Lam, 2022 & 2023 Regional Touring Artist
Image credit: Orange Regional Conservatorium
If you are interested in being considered for our 2024 featured artist list, please complete the form below by 11:59PM AEDT, Monday 4 March 2024. All applicants will receive a response by Monday 15 April. We plan to launch the program on our website and to venues on Monday 6 May.
Due to the tight deadlines, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please supply a link to a file-sharing service (for example Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive etc) containing a minimum of three (3) high-resolution images of the artist or ensemble (minimum file size 2MB) suitable for the promotion of this performance, with at least one image being portrait orientation, and one being landscape orientation. The link must not require a password or login to access.
If you have any difficulties or concerns regarding photo delivery, please contact us.
Submissions without images in the above format will not be considered.
Monday 4 March 2024, 11:59PM AEDT
EOI submissions close
Monday 15 April 2024
Monday 6 May 2024
2025 Touring Artists announced
What Musica Viva Australia does
- We use the information you provide in your application to create artist pages which will be sent to our regional touring presenting partners. In discussions with our presenting partners, we hope to build short tours for your ensemble in regional NSW on mutually agreed dates.
- Once these dates are confirmed, Musica Viva Australia will liaise with you to create an appropriate travel itinerary. We will then book and pay for your domestic flights, accommodation and hire vehicle (away from your home city), and reimburse you for the petrol consumed during your tour.
- Each member of your ensemble will also be paid a daily travel allowance for each night they are away on the Musica Viva Australia tour in addition to their performance and workshop fee. In 2024 this amount is $76.66 per night. 2025 rates are yet to be set.
- Your ensemble will be covered by Musica Viva Australia’s public liability insurance for all concerts performed with Musica Viva Australia.
- Musica Viva Australia will report and cover the cost of the APRA/OneMusic performance licence for your concerts while on tour.
What we ask of you
- After we launch our artist pages, all program/repertoire and personnel changes must be approved by Musica Viva Australia, so that there is no confusion between all the different people involved in a tour.
- The success of our presenting partners’ events can be greatly affected by any of our artists performing for someone else nearby, which in regional NSW can mean up to two hours’ drive away – the distance audience members might travel. Because of this, we will need exclusivity in certain regions in 2025. Performances in Sydney are not a problem.
- Any additional activities organised by yourself or other management while on tour must be agreed to by Musica Viva Australia, and we may require reimbursement for a share of your travel expenses.
- If you are approached for another performance outside of your engagements with Musica Viva Australia in regional NSW for 2025, we would like you to talk to us about it early, to see whether we can support your travel costs for that event. We love building new networks and working with new presenters – and they’re usually happy for the assistance, too.